Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Long, Lasting Day with Leadership Austin

Guest post from Leadership Austin board member and ESSENTIAL 2001 alum Brian Dolezal.
-----

Tuesday, February 5 was a long but lasting day for me. Book-ending a day that included a number of client meetings, media deadlines and preparation for our office move, were the ENGAGE breakfast featuring a panel of experts on education and the first "Meet the Leader" event of the season featuring Teddy McDaniel of the Austin Area Urban League.

Yes, it was a long day, but it was well worth it. As a Leadership Austin board member, I’m already very aware of how successful the organization is at connecting established and emerging leaders to inform them about the issues facing our community, but these two events also reminded me Leadership Austin is the catalyst to affect change.

Not only did I learn new things at both events that I can use in my professional and civic life, I reconnected with past contacts and met new leaders with whom I have already followed up to either get them involved on one of my projects or to connect them to a Leadership Austin volunteering opportunity.

Although I don’t think everyone needs to make the time to attend two Leadership Austin events in the same 24-hour period, I think a couple of doses of Leadership Austin’s phenomenal programming in short order is a great way to re-energize anyone’s commitment to our great community. And, if you are a dues-paying member of the EMERGE or ESSENTIAL alumni association, you get more opportunities to do so.

Of course, this two-event day would not have been possible without the support of Capital One Bank for presenting the ENGAGE Breakfast Series and of Pierpont Communications for presenting the "Meet the Leader" series. I encourage you to thank them at the next Leadership Austin events you attend and, hopefully, they will have the accumulating effect my recent experiences had on me.

Brian Dolezal is Vice President of Hahn, Texas public relations and Chair Elect of Leadership Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment